Wednesday, July 7, 2010

My collection

Everybody with disposable income probably collects SOMETHING or other. Welll, since I was raised in the suburbs, I got caught up in the energy drink craze of 2007 - 08; I collect energy drinks in my spare time. Why this, of all things? Because I HATE sleeping when I'm supposed to be working. Because I LOVE exploring all the different flavors and sensations that they bring about; because I can look at each can I've acquired and recall the exact moment when It was drank, how it tasted, what kind of work I was doing, and how much it helped me complete my task. It's a slightly expensive hobby to maintain, I'll admit, but I've never given IT priority over the important things in life, and therefore it is acceptable to me.

So far i've got 47 different cans in my collection, covering a spectrum of caffeine / taurine gradients from a half-cup of coffee's worth to the equivalent of three double shots of espresso: YES they make those, but they're pretty hard to find. Check the vitamin shoppe. Anyway, i've been keeping the cans in New Jersey this past year, and I didn't make very many additions to the collection, SO over the remaining weeks this summer i'll be on the lookout for more exotic fair. You know something kind of funny, though? The guys that own Rockstar ALSO own Monster, and the guys that own Amp sell Mountain Dew as well. This entire multi-billion dollar industry (it's THAT big, people) is controlled by a handful of corporations that dictate exactly what we're going to drink, and while I'm no conspiracy theorist, it's kind of an unsettling thought for someone like me. I mean, for God's sake, Red Bull is a corporation in its own right by now - they've got entire SPORTS stadiums built under their name by now! Ugh, anyways, down to the nuts and bolts reviews.

Stuff I've tried and loved; NOS energy - tastes like candy minus the disgusting aftertaste of Red Bull. It's got 130 milligrams of caffeine per 8 ounces, making it one of the most powerful members of the pantheon.

5 hour energy; a tiny little shot of goodness that actually lacks caffeine but HAS a ton of vitamins and chemicals that gives you a highly noticeable rush and sense of focus. The niacin gives you a rush of blood to your skin, warming you up, and the b-vitamins will wake you up from any amount of tiredness. VERY worth the three bucks if you've got that kind of money to spend.

Spike shooter - this stuff's even stronger than NOS, containing 300 mg of caffeine per 8 ounce can. Ounce for ounce, it beats the competition, but you can't get it in a bigger size (good thing too, since most people get caffeine poisoning at larger doses). It tastes like cough medicine on steroids, no joke, but the Yohimibine and St. John's wort extract mixed in means that you've got an all-day rush to the head PLUS total focus on whatever you're doing. Did I mention it's got zero calories? That's because it was originally sold as a diet drink - well, it works both ways people! Priced in at 2.50 for New York retailers, this is just about THE best bang for your buck.

That covers my favorites, now i'll just have a quick word about Red Bull -

CHEAP, OVERPRICED, IMPORTED TRASH SOLD IN 4-PACKS LIKE SOME SORT OF BEER; IT IS BY FAR THE WEAKEST ENERGY DRINK YOU CAN FIND ON THE MARKET, YET EVERY COLLEGE FRAT-BOY ACTS LIKE IT'S THE GREATEST PARTY DRINK IN THE FUCKING WORLD! I'M SICK OF PEOPLE SINGING THEIR PRAISES FOR THIS STUFF - IT TASTES BAD, IT FAILS AT ITS INTENDED JOB, AND IT COSTS THE COMPANY NOTHING TO MAKE. STOP BUYING IT!

I've got a little wishlist of brands/flavors I've yet to add to my collection, and if anyone's kind enough to help me out here, I'd MUCH appreciate it.

Lost Five-O - 24 ounce can, colored orange
http://www.lostclothing.com/prod/newsArtical.php?ID=639
Venom; looking for 'mojave rattler' and 'killer taipan' - the yellow and purple ones
http://www.venomenergy.com/
Wired x344 and Wired x505 (you can only get these in the south, unfortunately)

Monster energy shot (the one that's the size of a 5-hour energy)
Rockstar energy shot (same size, they come in two-ounce bottles)
Red Bull energy shot (just to expand the collection, even though I despise the brand)

any and all others in that size bottle besides 5-hour energy. I have few 'shot-size' drinks

Amp Traction

Ladies and Gentlemen, if you've been reading this post all the way through, I thank you for your patience. I can't imagine how they have entire MAGAZINES for those upper class types who collect wine bottles <.<

3 comments:

  1. COME DOWN TO GEORGIA!!

    WE HAVE VENOM!! Well actually anywhere in the southern states have them at any gas station. :3

    And we have all the shots: in different little flavors. Never tried 'em, but I always see them. You probably can find them at Walgreens.

    There's even the lovely Amp and Rockstar GUM. Yes, GUM. Rather tasty I must say.

    And NOS = No5 = Nitrous = BESTFUCKINGSHITEVERRRR and if you drink enough of it you lose the aftertaste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allrighty, I'll make the quest to Georgia soon's I can ^^

    seriously, as soon as I get my acceptance letter to NYU, i'm a free man (even before then, they give you days off for college visits.. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So... Bad news. I had the cans (one of Burn and Battery), but they ended up getting crushed in Costa Rica. So they were thrown out.

    However, I have photos of them :D
    (failboat)

    ReplyDelete