Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Found me some HISTORY

 So I've been browsing around Listia.com, this auction site, and I found some interesting coins I thought I'd grab. I like collecting things, and to me, these coins represent moments of history that shouldn't be forgotten.
Those coins on the second row from the bottom are from 1903, 1904 and 1906 respectively
 That gold Susan B. Anthony is from 1979, and the dimes are from 1926, 1942, 1943, 1953 and 1958





The penny on the left is from 1913. I've never seen a wheatpenny that old before! The others are from 1936, 1940, 1946, 1952 and 1958



I don't even know how old those buffalo nickels are, but to me, the coins represent more than just the dates. They're tokens from our past that span the entire 20th century. From the 1900's to the '20's, the First World War, the Great Depression, The Second World War and The Cold War: they represent our moments of greatest triumph - and our greatest failures. I may keep these, but I wanted you all to see them. Maybe someday, they'll end up in a museum. That way, everyone can get a glimpse of our past. I hope so, because it seems like all too often we keep forgetting where we came from.

And that's what ends up biting us in the ass, collectively and individually.

Never forget where you come from.




No comments:

Post a Comment