Monday, December 31, 2012

What I Learned In Boating School Is...

Another year has come and gone, and I have not written in this blog as often as it deserves. Maybe I've been so happy with Iva that I no longer ruminate like I used to. Maybe I just forgot why I kept this blog in the first place. One of the big reasons, I suspect, is that I was disappointed by the fact that I haven't become a famous blogger by now. Whatever the case, I realized that this blog is conducive to my learning and remembering things, whether or not anyone reads it. Give this, I have one New Year's resolution; to write every day, about what I've learned and experienced, so that I can remember more of it come exam-time, or whenever I might need that information down the road.

The classes I am taking are interesting enough that you, my readers, ought to be entertained. I will give each post the time and effort required to make the material understandable to the layman. For the record, those classes are Chemistry 2, Principles of Biology 2. Writing in Community, and Treating Child & Adolescent Psychopathology.

So, to begin, I learned today WHY the fiscal cliff has not yet been voted on by the house and the senate;  by voting on the issue in 2013, when tax hikes and spending cuts go into effect, legislators can report to their constituents "I voted for lower taxes for the middle class." Source: Ari Fleischer, my stepfather's brother.

Effects of the fiscal cliff:

- End of last year's payroll tax cuts, making employees pay 2% more in taxes.
- end of the 2001-2003 Bush tax cuts
- Beginning of taxes related to president Obama's health care law.
- According to Barron's, over 1,000 government programs, including the defense budget and Medicare, are in line for "Deep, Automatic Cuts"

This has the potential to lead no another recession, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. If people learn to make do with less money, and are forced to save their money,  the individual wins, financially, in the long run at the expense of retail companies. A measure of chaos is good for a society every now and then, as it leads to elimination of all but the essentials. It IS uncomfortable, but I'd rather be uncomfortable at this age than when I'm older, so that I can greater appreciate luxuries EARNED.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it has been forever since you posted. But I am glad to know that you are a) still alive and b) living a life that you are happy with. I look forward to catching up with you soon. And I already had your blog bookmarked, excited that you're writing again. :]

    ReplyDelete