Thursday, January 13, 2011

Better than expected

When I was six years old, I started writing and drafting screenplays for movies. When I was eight years old, I came up with an idea for a magnetically powered transportation system - like maglevs that could go to every major city in America. When I was twelve, I started thinking of ways that I could take over the world.

Lately, i've felt that with all the shit i've done to my brain, i've managed to kill off some brain cells. I've thought that I MUST be dumber, somehow, because I don't feel like i'm getting any smarter. And yet, when I look back on my past journal entries - from a year ago or more - I shake my head and think "how naive I must have been!" My grades, in all my classes, are steadily going up. I've been exploring interests in psychology, painting, philosophy, photography and dancing in the last few months alone. I've been making more and more friends, and made less mistakes when it comes to how I treat them.

What I'm getting at is, while I'm not pursuing grandiose ideas - like becoming an astronaut or gaining control of the world's financial systems - I'm still growing. And I still plan on becoming a businessman, and a VERY influential businessman at that. The difference is, I'm concentrating on what makes me happy; chemistry, neuroscience, and business, and recognizing the futility of wanting absolute power.

I am ambitious, and ambition has its place. Within it, though, one must use reason. Our own government, which is already highly centralized, is proof enough that strong governments do not make for strong nations. Also recall the empires of Alexander the Great, Ghengis Khan, and Rome. They failed because they overexpanded - I will not do the same.

It is a wise man's duty to respect the free will of people, no matter how rich or famous that man is. Self-governance is what made America great for the past two centuries, and I will not infringe on it. What I'm trying to say in this post is, I've accepted my role in the world. Not as a Napoleon, but as a Louis Pasteur.

No comments:

Post a Comment