Monday, August 8, 2011

Shut up and do it already

Look, I get it. You're tired, you're nervous, you have other things to do first, and it seems like a lot of work. So take a break. Put it off till tomorrow. That work, whatever it is, will still be there in the morning, where it will stay until you get up off your ass and finish it.

I don't care WHAT it is. Maybe you need to apply for college, or for a job. Maybe you need to write that song already, or call someone and set things straight with them. It doesn't matter: Shut up and do it already.

Do you see where I am now? Do you know what it took to get here? I can't brag about it: I have no right to. Everything that has worked out for me in life happened because I put in the time and energy to make it happen. Yes, I had help along the way. I had a LOT of help, actually, but that's beside the point; they wouldn't have helped me in the first place unless I'd made the committment to shoulder those obligations.

So you can be one of those people who leave everything for tomorrow. That's fine; It's an easier, more laid-back way of approaching things. But ask yourself this before you do: Is that YOU? When you look back on your life ten, fifteen years from now, will you call that time well spent? Or will you regret not seizing an opportunity when you had the chance?

Think about it before you call me up and use me as a crutch for your productivity - again. I have my own life to live, as do you.

No comments:

Post a Comment