Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Talking at me, rather than TO me

Look, I get it. You just LOVE with Lady Gaga, Glee, MGMT, The Hangover, Harry Potter and Andy Warhol. I dig your enthusiasm, and I believe you when you talk about how interesting they are. Hell, if you give me something to go on (like the book you were talking about earlier, or a URL to that band's website) i'd be happy to take a look.

But if you judge me for NOT having been exposed to that facet of pop culture, I will completely ignore you. You have no idea what I'm interested in, or why it has emotional resonance to me, and you probably wouldn't care even if I explained it to you; so what's your problem?

So what If I haven't heard about the latest 'up and coming' rapper's debut? Do you know about the goings-on in Egypt and Libya? So what if I haven't seen THAT movie yet? Have you ever watched an arthouse film? So what If I haven't ogled THAT starlet's body before; do you know anything about the evolution of our society's standards of beauty? I love books, movies, music, videogames, and visual and performing art; I try to expand my base OF these interests whenever possible, which is why I'm more than willing to listen to your spiel.

But if you don't have the courtesy to listen to me back, then don't talk to me.  I have better things to do with my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment