Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Silk Road (41 mountain boulevard, Warren NJ) and a bit of reflection

What do I feel like after getting twelve hours of sleep?I feel Like a BOSS, that's what! Better yet, I had no homework due today, so I was able to sleep without worrying.

It's been like living in prison after Sunday's little adventure, but I haven't done anything since then (that she knows about) to make parents mad at me. I wish I didn't let them stress me out so much, especially mum, but the only way that'd happen is when I move to college. Other than that, as long as I have to take care of my sister on a regular basis, I'm going to disappoint them. Fuck it.

We watched the beginning of 'The Marriage of Figaro' In French today. I usually hate slow days like this, when we do little work, but I've never seen an opera before and this was really FUN! The singing was just beautiful, and the acting was good, so It was cool. I'm starting to lose my touch in AP world - wasn't participating at all today, and I should be because it's the fourth quarter and the year's almost up.

No one here does barbershop, but oh my GOD we sound bad this semester! Ever heard 'I'm Yours' by Jason Mraz? It's a great song, and I love singing it, but the teacher Is not picking the right people to solo and do the scatting sections. I'm going to be truly ashamed to perform this at the concert.

Anyways, about the restaurant:

Although it's kind of hard to find, Silk Road is worth the shlep to Warren. They start you off with home-made pita bread, fresh out the oven, with a mediterranean salad to go with it. This bread's the sweetest stuff you can eat without heaping real sugar on it, and the spiced cucumbers and tomatoes that make up the salad do well to balance that flavor. Moving on, you get a complimentary dish of the day, and on this visit we were served lentil soup - tastes kind of like lamb meat mixed with beans, probably because of the broth - which was good.

If you want a kick-ass lamb kebab, please go here at least once in your life. Silk Road actually introduced me to lamb meat, and since then I haven't found a place that serves it up better, even going above the price range for this dish. Expect to pay around twenty dollars for the entree, but it's worth it considering the quality / quantity of the meat and the freebies they give you.

The decor of the place is spot-on; you feel like you're somewhere in Afghanistan with the way the place is lit, and the rugs lining the wall, and the way the tables are set. The service is very fast, very professional, and non-intrusive when you're conversing with your dinner partner. The entire operation is family-run, and I cannot find a single aspect of the business worth criticizing.

No comments:

Post a Comment